Friday 11 November 2016

Letters to Japan: Day #2

As the days go by, I find myself wishing I was back in Japan, more now than ever before. 

For Day #2 in Tokyo, we managed to wake up (reasonably) early to head over to Yanesen Cemetery, a beautiful little place located somewhere near our Airbnb. We just needed to take a 20-30 minute bus ride to the place. 

But before anything else, food! 

We stumbled across this vending machine udon store along a line of stores where we were, so we decided to stop by to give it a try. I was completely fascinated with the self-service system, because I've never seen anything like it before, but apparently that street is filled with such restaurants. And I also found more of them at random busy train stations!

You make your orders and pay via the vending machines, then pass your little receipt to the chefs (yes, there are still human chefs physically there to make your food instead of just the vending machine) for them to prep your meal. I guess technically, that makes it a 'self-service' restaurant than a vending machine one right....

I got the really basic udon set, which comes with a normal bowl of noodles, paired with some porky broth which tasted pretty amazing. 

What I was really impressed by was the springiness of the udon noodles. I'm not normally one for udon, because I find them a bit too plain, with the noodles being a bit too floury and dry. I will always be a #ramengal at heart, but this place was surprisingly good! Reminds me of the other only really good udon place I know in Singapore, found in NEX's Japanese food street. 


Mmm... Probably not a good idea to look at such photos with a hungry stomach at 1.30am. Well I guess I wasn't hungry until I saw the photos.....

Belle got something like a 'sampler' set, so she got a small-sized curry noodles with another small-sized udon. A little bit of both. Her curry rice was pretty good though!

Probably one of the countless amount of things I like about Japan is how everything is painted in such pretty pastel tones. Even this bridge is in mint. It just makes the entire country look so rustic and beautiful.

Yanesen Cemetery was a complete far cry from what you see in Singapore. They are so peaceful and serene, with little a couple of other visitors walking around. It was so bright and airy too!

A pity the leaves haven't started changing colour yet... Or it would have been perfect. Belle told me that the locals come here for picnics whenever the cherry blossom season hits, so I guess the Japanese don't just take their cemetery grounds to be somewhere you only go to if you want to pay respects to the dead.



Afterwards, we made a last-minute decision to head down to Akihabara (forgot what our initial plan was). After all, I've heard so much about anime-city, so I jumped at the opportunity to see it for myself.

Two pictures only?? And both of them look exactly the same??? 

Yes. I got very distracted. First, by the PABLO Cheese Tart store that was right in front of the Akihabara tain station. It smelt so so good....... We couldn't possibly walk away without getting a box.

And then, I stepped into a Taito store and probably stayed there for close to an hour, trying to win a stupid Gudetama plushie keychain in the claw machines. Pretty sure I wasted 800Y there, and I didn't end up walking away with it in the end. 

We then walked around Akihabara for a good while more, and then found dinner at this little food court in Akihabara Station.

-

I would squeeze my other pictures in for Mount Takao the next day, but there are way too much photos to include, and this post would get real draggy, so I'll just end it off here for now.

Damn... Don't know what I wouldn't do to fly back to Japan in a heartbeat.

Till the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment