Saturday 16 April 2016

Letters to Taiwan: Day 6

The 13th of March was our first full day in Taiwan city. We bought concession cards, topped it up with 2,000TWD, and took the metro. But first, breakfast!

 p
hoto _MG_9170_zps9a97xure.jpg  photo _MG_9172_zpsz9xpgb3b.jpg

First, we were strolling the streets looking for some 滷肉飯 (Braised Pork Rice)that Alvin wanted us to try, but we discovered that the store closed down, so we continued walking around for somewhere else to settle down for brunch. We came across this little pancake store along the way, and got some for ourselves. The guys got the custard/milk flavour, while I got the traditional red bean. It was not bad, but I regretted not getting the milk one instead hehe. I actually kinda like red bean (which makes for another reason why I should really visit Japan) desserts, unlike a lot of other people I know.

 photo _MG_9189_zpstnp8gg8j.jpg  photo _MG_9198_zpsxmk0us1b.jpg

We alighted at 大安森林公園站 (Daan Park Station), which is apparently one of the richest parts of Taiwan. I only found that out after Googling, but it was no wonder we saw lots of Caucasians jogging around that morning. The area also had a couple of expensive hotels. 


While walking down the streets, we actually came across these litter of pups that were up for sale or adoption, we couldn't be sure. But they were probably up for adoption. They were just squealing and barking at each other, playing around, but there was quite a group of people crowding around them. They were sooooo cute, all wearing doggy clothes because the weather was pretty cold. But my heart went out to them.... It was really hard to walk away without adopting every single one of them. Some were already quite old, but it seemed like there were others who were only maybe a month or two old. I hope whoever adopts these puppies treats them well, and doesn't abandon them halfway. :(

 photo _MG_9256_zpsvoryzo9t.jpg

On the way to the Taipei 101 Tower, we popped by the South-side shopping area of Taipei, which is apparently the 'hipster-haven'. There's stores with cool neon sign boards, K-fashion all over the place, and even a Honey Creme! If I'm not wrong, it's the 忠孝敦化商圈 (Dunhua Shopping Area), and you'll need to alight at the 中孝敦化捷运站 (Zhongxiao Dunhua Station), Exit 4 to get to the district. We walked there by foot from Daan Station though, but we were able to catch a glimpse of the city that you wouldn't normally get to see unless you walked.

 photo _MG_9258_zpsbez9elhe.jpg  photo _MG_9259_zpscixwectb.jpg

I mean just look at how cool the streets looked! There were loads of young people there too, so I assumed that this was were they usually come to hang out. It was a Sunday that day, so the streets were super crowded. There were shops there that sold stuff from Stussy and Cheap Monday, just to name a few. I wish I shopped more hehe. There was also a massive Forever 21 right outside Zhongxiao Dunhua Station, so obviously, some damage was done. I actually regretted not buying more, because the stuff there seems to be cheaper as compared to Singapore's F21 outlets.

 photo _MG_9272_zpsl5yeoxsr.jpg  photo _MG_9283_zpsvwbaxsmw.jpg  photo _MG_9293_zpsnyo8yjwb.jpg

After a while of walking, we finally made it to Taipei 101! We didn't go in though, because it was expensive, and because it's just an aerial view of the city. But we snapped some shots outside. After which, we just strolled around the area (because it rained) and settled at a night market. I can't remember the name of the place already, but I remembered eating a hot plate steak hehe. 

Anyways, I guess that's it for now. I've been really busy these past few weeks with work, so the updates have been really slow. I really just want to be more regular with my posting (also so I can just edit all the photos, post them, and stop procrastinating), but time really hasn't been on my side these days. But it's alright, at least I'm doing something else that's more productive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment